09 June 2008

These will be Shorter from Here on Out.

Two things:

(1) There's this radio show playing in the background every evening that has some sort of theme music that plays repeatedly, and it sounds exactly like the melody to the part of the Reefer Madness musical where the lyrics are

"Open the gate and abandon hope / with the ghosts of the kids who got hooked on dope!"

It's really distracting.

(2) I have no idea what Sra. Estela does. The first day I asked her (in Spanish) and she mumbled something that sounded vaguely like it could have been a cognate for "cosmetologist." I clearly didn't understand, so she tried in English, and said, once again, something that was close to "cosmetologist" but not quite close enough for me to assume that that is indeed what she said. Hmm ... I also have no idea how old she is. It's got to be over 60, but I'm not sure how much over. Also don't know if she has family. But I don't really know how to ask these things...or if I really care that much about the answers. Small talk's hard enough in English, darn it!

No comments: